John
 Posted: May 18 2018, 03:51 AM

Administrator
Group Icon

Group:
Admin
Member ID:
Total Post:

What is the nature of existence? The question has been around since before I was a gleam in my parents eyes. It will be around long after I’ve turned to dust. It could be because it is the kind of question that simply does not have one all-encompassing answer. It could be that the question is unique to each person: Self-aware brains that struggle to cope with what they’re seeing and feeling around them, with the emotions tied to those experiences, making each answer tailored to that person. I don’t know. This isn’t about that, it’s just something that crosses my mind from the moment I wake up, until I pass out for sleep the next day.

While I do not understand why we exist, if there is such a reason, I do understand that we exist. You exist, and I exist. It is such a deceptively mundane concept. It is taken for granted, generally ignored, and often exploited. For me, “I exist” is as fundamental a statement as “I love.”

My body pulses with life, it thrives. The energy contained within me, in the form of heat, and will, is the lifeblood of my soul. Whether one believes in an actual soul is of no concern here, simply that what we are, who we are, it is housed in these bodies.

All of my thoughts, my hopes, my dreams, the bitterness of being lonely, the joy of seeing a friend return from a long journey, all of it exists because I exist, and while that sounds rather redundant, and even this entire post up until this point seems to be little more than metaphysical navel-gazing, the truth is that too many do not acknowledge just how special all of this is. It is mundane, rote living, a rut in which we walk as we follow the carrots and feel the sticks against our backsides in a civilization that values so little of who we are beyond what it can goad from us by playing on our fears and fantasies.

While I do find that to be so, I deny the idea that we are not special. We exist. That makes us special. Not everyone gets to exist, and yet here we are. We have substance, and are more than the sum of our parts, as far as I'm concerned. That is how I feel.

What do you think? What do you believe is the nature of existence?

--------------------
Starscape will always be free for all members.
If you feel like it, though, you can help Starscape pay for its monthly ad costs, domain costs, and upkeep. Any amount will do, and it will be greatly appreciated.

Starscape BBS Donation Page
^
Top Hat Zebra
 Posted: Jun 1 2018, 11:23 AM

Journeyman

Group:
Members
Member ID:
Total Post:

I think it's special only in the sense that it is, at least from our perspective, unique. But then, there are so very many unique things, aren't there? Life, consciousness, the "soul" for lack of a better term, is it any more special than a giant ball of flaming gas? A rock? A stream? Gravity? It's different, but is it different in a different way? Or just different, as different from one of those things as any other of those things?

From a subjective perspective, I highly value life as I know it, because it's all I can know. I also value it because it is unique, and I think, again purely subjectively, that unique things have value simply for being unique.

But I also think it's always important to remember that "unique" and "special" are not quite the same thing. "Special" implies an undue sense of importance, above everything else. And it's fair for us, as conscious beings, to place a special sense of importance on ourselves, because of course we could, but we must never forget that we are only important from our own perspective.

An asteroid flying towards us at a hundred thousand miles an hour does not care how important we think we are.
^
John
 Posted: Jun 1 2018, 06:24 PM

Administrator
Group Icon

Group:
Admin
Member ID:
Total Post:

Excellent point, Toppy. I do see us as unique as well. In the sense of being special, I do think that we are, in the understanding that we can actively use the intelligence and awareness we have to avoid the asteroid in some form or fashion. Now, even that isn't unique to humans. There are other animals who see a threat and make the effort to get out of its way, still I think it's something to consider, that sentient life is on some level "special."

All of that aside, yes, in the grand scheme of things we are but one microscopic part, not even a cog as of yet in the machinery. As a result of our current uniqueness, though, I do believe we should cherish it, and work to preserve it.

--------------------
If you feel like it, though, you can help Starscape pay for its monthly ad costs, domain costs, and upkeep. Any amount will do, and it will be greatly appreciated.

^
voyagergrl38
 Posted: Jun 13 2018, 09:57 PM

Group:
Members
Member ID:
Total Post:

I do believe in existence and that we are put on this Earth for a purpose. But I tend to question my own existence at very instances of the day. It sort of puts a strain on my self esteem but I keep going on.
Along the question of existence for me one question is always asked: Am I ever going to find a true romance and a soulmate? Or am I just doomed to be alone forever? I'm an introvert and even though I like my solitude, but sometimes the loneliness is crushing.I wish I had someone to share my life with. Maybe there's someone out there for me..gotta keep the head up. //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/smile.gif At least I am healthy now and a normal weight for my height and I have my youth. I'm thankful for that.
^
John
 Posted: Jun 16 2018, 12:49 AM

Administrator
Group Icon

Group:
Admin
Member ID:
Total Post:

Take every good grace you can, voy, because I understand, and yeah, the loneliness is soul crushing. I hope you find the person out there just for you.

--------------------

^
voyagergrl38
 Posted: Jun 17 2018, 07:10 PM

Group:
Members
Member ID:
Total Post:

Thank you John. Maybe he’s out there.
^
John
 Posted: Jun 18 2018, 09:40 PM

Administrator
Group Icon

Group:
Admin
Member ID:
Total Post:

You're welcome, Voy. //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/smile.gif

--------------------

^
mikeh92467
 Posted: Jun 19 2018, 11:26 PM

Apprentice
Group Icon

Group:
Moderators
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (voyagergrl38 @ Jun 17 2018, 04:10 PM)

He's out there, but you may have to quit looking for him. The harder you look and ask yourself "is he The One"? the more you risk looking past the "Real One." I wish you the best and hope you will remember that we all want you to be happy. https://files.jcink.net/uploads/starscapebbs/Smilies/hugs.gif
^
John
 Posted: Jun 20 2018, 09:40 PM

Administrator
Group Icon

Group:
Admin
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (mikeh92467 @ Jun 19 2018, 11:26 PM)
QUOTE (voyagergrl38 @ Jun 17 2018, 04:10 PM)

He's out there, but you may have to quit looking for him. The harder you look and ask yourself "is he The One"? the more you risk looking past the "Real One." I wish you the best and hope you will remember that we all want you to be happy. https://files.jcink.net/uploads/starscapebbs/Smilies/hugs.gif

Agreed. The harder one looks, the less likely they'll find their "one."

--------------------

^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | The Brig | Next Newest »

View Topic Options

Mobile Version Last Visit: --